Illinois - Certificate of Good Conduct

What is a Certificate of Good Conduct?

The Certificate of Good Conduct (CGC) is a court document that declares to an employer that the person has been rehabilitated. In other words, a CGC means you have demonstrated good conduct since your sentencing. 

Who is Eligible to Apply for a Certificate of Good Conduct?

Any person convicted of a crime in Illinois who has demonstrated good conduct for a specific period of time is eligible for a CGC. Depending on the crime you were convicted of, you may not be able to work for the Illinois Department of Corrections, the Department of Juvenile Justice, or any law enforcement agency in Illinois, even with a CGC.

You are eligible for the CGC unless you were convicted of:

  • Any offense or attempted offense that would subject you to registration under the Sex Offender Registration Act, the Arsonist Registration Act, or the Murderer and Violent Offender Against Youth Registration Act;
  • Arson;
  • Aggravated arson;
  • Kidnapping;
  • Aggravated kidnapping;
  • Aggravated driving under the influence of alcohol, other drug or drugs, or intoxicating compound or compounds, or any combination; or
  • Aggravated domestic battery.

What Effect Does a Certificate of Good Conduct Have on My Status?

The certificate could improve your chances of getting a job or a license because it demonstrates good conduct and rehabilitation. 

When Can I Apply for a Certificate of Good Conduct?

The CGC requires a waiting period:

  • You must wait at least one year after your release or your payment of the fine to apply for a CGC if your conviction is for a misdemeanor.
  • You must wait at least two years after your release if your conviction is for a felony.

How Do I Apply for a Certificate of Good Conduct?

Follow these steps to apply for a CGC:

  1. Go to the circuit court that sentenced you;
  2. Ask the Circuit Court Clerk for a Petition for a Certificate of Good Conduct;
  3. Fill out the form;
  4. Attach copies of any supporting documents (your criminal record history, any proof of your rehabilitation, and so on); and
  5. Pay any fee required.

The clerk will set a hearing date. The chief judge of that judicial district will hear your case.

You must attend the hearing.

If you were sentenced in Cook County, use the Petition for Certificate of Good Conduct Form CCCR0713 to submit to the court:

Petition for Certificate of Good Conduct

For the latest version, please visit the Cook County Circuit Court website here: Clerk of the Circuit Court

Please print this form or complete using a computer. If you have trouble editing this form on your computer, try using the Chrome web browser.