Georgia – Fix Your RAP Sheet

The Georgia Crime Information Center (GCIC) will correct or update your criminal history record if it has inaccurate or missing information. First, get authorization from the law enforcement agency that created the record. This could be a police department, court, prosecutor, and probation or parole office. 

Here's how to ask for a record correction:

  1. Visit the law enforcement agency that submitted the inaccurate information. The agency, not you, must submit a request on its official stationery with this information: your full name, birth date, social security number, race, sex, date of arrest; or State Identification Number (SID) and arrest date; or Offender Tracking Number (OTN) for that arrest date; and the requested changes.
    The GCIC cannot change a criminal history record without authorization from the appropriate law enforcement agency.
  2. After the agency submits a request, you need to contact the GCIC. You can go in person to the GCIC or contact them by mail.

Here's how to ask for the record correction in person: 

  1. Make an appointment with GCICThey will help you complete the process, including fingerprinting.
    Phone: (404) 244-2639

Here's how to ask for record correction by mail:

  1. Write a short letter to the GCIC explaining why you are asking for a change to your record. Include the specific information that you are challenging and a return mail address.
  2. Go to your local law enforcement agency and get your fingerprints taken. You will need two fingerprint cards with your personal information (name, birth date, place of birth, etc.) and 10 rolled fingerprints and eight flat finger impressions.
  3. Make a photocopy of your identification (drivers' license, photo-ID card) that you showed to get your fingerprints.
  4. Include the address and phone number of the law enforcement agency that took your fingerprints so GCIC can contact them if necessary.
  5. Include a certified check or money order, payable to the Georgia Crime Information Center, for the fee.  You can find the current fee for a "record inspection to challenge a criminal history record" at this webpage:  GCIC Fees.
  6. Mail everything to this address:

    Georgia Crime Information Center
    CCH Identification Services
    P.O. Box 370808
    Decatur, GA 30037-0808

    Phone: (404) 270-2639


More Information About Fixing Your Record

For help to challenge the accuracy of your Georgia criminal record, contact GCIC using the information provided above.