The Indiana State Police (ISP) Central Records Division keeps all state criminal history records. These records are open to the public and are available to law enforcement, courts, landlords, and employers. The ISP keeps records only for Indiana offenses.
You can get a a fingerprint-based full criminal history record or a name-based “limited criminal history” record online or by mail. The "limited criminal history" record includes only felonies and class A misdemeanor arrests within the state of Indiana.
Here are the seven steps to get your fingerprint-based full criminal history record from the ISP:
- Go to the Indiana State Police (ISP) website. To access the ISP website, visit: Indiana State Police.
- Select the “Criminal History Services” tab on the left side of the page.
- Click on the "Challenge My Record" tab.
- Select "Request a fingerprinting appointment online." This link will take you to Indiana's electronic fingerprinting vendor, IdentoGO.
- Choose an Indiana fingerprinting location and register online. You can also register for fingerprinting by calling IdentoGO at (877) 472-6917.
- Pay the $21.95 fee. You can pay online with a credit or debit card or at the IdentoGO fingerprinting location with a business check or money order. The IdentoGO site does not accept personal checks. The fee includes the cost for fingerprinting and your criminal history record.
- Wait about 15 days to get your record in the mail.
If you have questions about getting a fingerprint-based criminal history record, call IdentoGO at (877) 472-6917.
Here are the three steps to get your name-based limited criminal history record online from the ISP:
- Go to the ISP's online "Limited Criminal History Search." To access the search, visit the ISP website here: Indiana State Police.
- Complete the form. Make sure to follow the online instructions.
- Pay the $16.32 online fee for each name search. The acceptable form of payment is a credit card.
Here are the four steps to get your name-based limited criminal history record by mail from the ISP:
- Get the "ISP Criminal History Information Limited Criminal History and Fee Exemption" form. To access the form, visit the ISP website here: Indiana State Police - Limited Criminal History Search.
- Complete the form. Make sure to follow the instructions on the form.
- Pay the $7 fee. The acceptable form of payment is a money order only.
- Mail the form and your payment to this address:
Indiana State Police
Criminal History Limited Check
P.O. Box 6188
Indianapolis, IN 46206-6188